What You Need To Know About Jackshaft Garage Door Openers
A jackshaft garage door opener – also known as a wall mount or side mount garage door opener – could be a great solution for your residential garage door. Read on to learn what jackshaft operators are, the best uses for jackshaft operators, and elements to consider before purchasing.
What is a jackshaft garage door opener?
A jackshaft garage door opener mounts to the wall of the garage next to the garage door track. Jackshafts connect directly to the torsion bar above the door. An overhead mount, on the other hand, hangs from the ceiling. It opens the door by moving an attached trolley along a chain or rod.
Why use a jackshaft opener vs. an overhead garage door opener?
A jackshaft garage door opener works better for some garage set-ups than others. Consider a jackshaft operator if any of these apply to your situation:
- You need a quiet garage door opener. Jackshafts have fewer moving parts than an overhead, which makes them quieter.
- You want to install the opener yourself. Jackshafts are easier to DIY than an overhead operator.
- You don’t have much headroom in your garage.
- You have an unusually high ceiling in your garage.
- You have 6” of space on the wall beyond the garage door frame. A jackshaft extends 5-6” to the right or the left (your choice) beyond the frame of the garage door.
What's the best residential jackshaft opener?
As jackshafts gain popularity, there are more options on the market. These three are consistently ranked well.
- LiftMaster 8500W elite series jackshaft garage door opener. This is LiftMaster's newest model. It boasts a battery back-up, LED light and built-in Wi-Fi to connect your door to MyQ, LiftMaster's remote open app.
- LiftMaster 8500 jackshaft garage door opener. What's the difference between the 8500 and the 8500W? The 8500 has capabilities for a battery backup, which means you have to buy the backup separately. Also, you'll need to purchase the LiftMaster Internet Gateway if you'd like to use the MyQ app.
- Genie 6170H-B residential wall mount garage door opener. Similar to the LiftMaster 8500W, this Genie opener has a battery back-up, LED light and integrated Wi-Fi for Genie's Aladdin Connect app.
Need more information about jackshaft openers?
Please ask! Our in-house experts are happy to help with all of your jackshaft opener questions. Get in touch with our support crew:
- Live chat: Click the green “Contact Us” button on the right
- Call: 800-783-6112
- Email: email@example.com